What is c++ tool

Wed Feb 12 17:04:01 UTC 2003

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Am Mit, 2003-02-12 um 19.04 schrieb Leon Pollak:
> > Hello,
> >       This must be a simple stupid question, but still I don't know...
> >       The tools directory contains files like
> > powerpc-eabi-c++-gcc3.2.1newlib1.10.0-3.i386.rpm
> > powerpc-eabi-gcc-gcc3.2.1newlib1.10.0-3.i386.rpm
> >       What is the difference (except the size :-)))?

Those are not on the /pub/rtems side of the OAR ftp site.  They
are on the /pub/gnucross side.  For those of you who don't know,
we have been building "generic" cross-compilers for a long time
internally to verify problems against.  A while back I had the
insight that the RTEMS tool packaging was easy to adapt to
providing binaries for generic no OS cross compilers.  So that is
what is in that directory.  When you report a tool problem we
try to verify if it is is also in the generic non-RTEMS specific
target and if so, then it is of a lot more interest to the
tool maintainers.

> * gcc: contains gcc (c-compiler + gcc-driver) and newlib.
> * c++: packages are add-on packages to "gcc"-packages, containing cgcc's
> c++-compiler (g++) + corresponding libs.
>
> The "gcc" package must be installed before you can install the
> c++-package.
>
> And yes, the powerpc packages are monsters in size, but that's a
> drawback of the powerpc's internals' design in RTEMS.
>
> But I wonder what these "eabi" packages actually contain, because the
> official RTEMS powerpc toolchain rpms are supposed to be called
> powerpc-rtems-* :-)

Those are generic out of the box Linux->powerpc-eabi tools.