4MByte limit in IMFS for each file?

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Sat Feb 22 10:18:54 UTC 2003

Hello,

it's me again :-)

When I tried out my "fileio" sample, I hit a strange 4MByte
limit when creating files in the IMFS. I was working on a
PC386 target with 16MByte of memory (and most of it was always
available on the heap).

When I tried to create big files (like 8MB), the write call
always failed (with a "no space left on device" error),
directly after reaching a 4MByte file size boundary.

This limit does not exist on the DOSFS, only when writing to
the IMFS. I tried it out on a MBX8xx system (with 16MByte of
RAM) and there I hit the limit also after 4MBytes.

I was browsing through the IMFS sources and did not find any
reason for this limitation, and I did not yet run the test
with a debugger.

Any hints on that issue?

wkr,
	Thomas.