Building Tools

Eric Norum norume at aps.anl.gov
Tue Feb 25 23:09:48 UTC 2003

Angelo Fraietta wrote:
> I commenced building the tools, however, I have come into an error
>
> I first had to make a soft link to binutils and gcc before moving to the
> build, otherwise the configure did not work  EG with gcc
>

>         Configure, build and install the cross-compiler and libraries
>
>        1. Create a directory in which the tools will be built and change
>           to that directory.
>
> rm -rf build
> mkdir build
> ln -s gcc-3.2.1 gcc
>  cd build
>
>        2. Configure the compiler and libraries.
>
> ../\gcc/configure --target=i386-rtems --prefix=/opt/rtems \
>             --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib --verbose \
>             --with-system-zlib --disable-nls \
>             --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
>             --enable-threads=rtems \
>             --enable-languages=c,c++
>

> The binutils worked fine, however, this was not the case with gcc.
>
> During the build I got the following error

I think you started into the tutorial one step too far down and missed:

Add the directory containing the tools to your shell search path
The following sections assume that the directory into which you will
install the cross-development tools (/opt/rtems/bin) is on your shell
search path. For shells like sh, bash, zsh and ksh you can to this with

PATH="$PATH:/opt/rtems/bin"

For shells like csh and tcsh you can

set path = ( $path /opt/rtems/bin )

Eric Norum                                 norume at aps.anl.gov
Advanced Photon Source                     Phone: (630) 252-2793
Argonne National Laboratory