Building ARM in big-endian mode

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Feb 26 05:54:34 UTC 2003

Am Mon, 2003-02-24 um 21.34 schrieb Charles Steaderman:
> I would like to rebuild RTEMS and my application for ARM in big-endian mode.

Meanwhile, having investigated a bit further, I found that

1.
* arm-rtems-gcc and arm-rtems-binutils both support big-endian arm.
* arm-rtems-newlib currently is only built for little-endian.

=> The current arm-rtems-gcc+newlib toolchain only supports
little-endian arm.

Extending arm-rtems-gcc+newlib to support big-endianness would be
trivial, but doesn't make much sense unless 2. below can be resolved.

2. The arm port in RTEMS currently only supports little-endian arm, but
probably can extended to big-endian arm without too much effort by
someone actually using big-endian arm.

So the crucial questions would be:
* Why do you want to use ARM in big-endian mode?
* What is it that prevents you from using little endian arm?
* Would you be willing to extend RTEMS arm port to big endianness?

Ralf