why is RTEMS_VERSION not set?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Feb 26 15:36:22 UTC 2003

Am Mit, 2003-02-26 um 16.01 schrieb Valette Eric:
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
> > As a side note, I think it would be nice to have some
> > cpp constants like RTEMS_VERSION_MAJOR, RTEMS_VERSION_MINOR or
> > something that could be tested in conditional code. It has
> > been disccused a few times over the years but never got to a
> > concrete proposal that would be useful to applciations.
>
> While I do not really care about RTEMS_VERSION, it is sometimes useful
> for system to provide such information so that specific work around can
> be developed for a particular version or incompatible API's...
The problem with the current implementation of RTEMS_VERSION is it being
a string.

This prevents it being applicable to comparisons in preprocessor
conditionals (#if ( RTEMS_VERSION < 4.5 )) and makes it only applicable
to preprocessor conditional checking for presence of it (#ifdef
RTEMS_VERSION).

Ralf