why is RTEMS_VERSION not set?

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed Feb 26 18:07:46 UTC 2003

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Am Mit, 2003-02-26 um 18.24 schrieb Till Straumann:
>
>>Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>>The problem with the current implementation of RTEMS_VERSION is it being
>>>a string.
>>>

>>I was actually quite happy with the string version. I am ofter playing
>>with different versions and I like an application printing the
>>RTEMS version string. In case I discover a problem with an application,
>

> Note: application!
>
> Nothing prevents you from composing a string inside of _your_
> application.

Guess what: I have the application print its version AND I
have it print the RTEMS_VERSION.

>>I have a clear indication what version I (or one of my colleagues)
>>had it built with (I usually also include a 'build-date' string).
>
> You won't need it if we had numerical version defines

Sure - it was just a surprise to me that RTEMS_VERSION just disappeared.

FYI:

   powerpc/shared/startup/bspstart.c

and

   cpukit/libcsupport/src/utsname.c

use RTEMS_VERSION also.

> - Compilation
> could complain or fall back to something compatible if using
> incompatible versions.

I'm not (only) concerned with compiling. I have someone out there
running an application. They come to me and say: hey, there's a crash.
I'd like to be able to ask them: "What does the version string say?"

I'm not saying this is a terrible issue with top priority - I was just
asking why it doesn't work anymore (and part of the automagic seems
to still mention or use and define it). I thought it was broken because
RTEMS_VERSION is still defined but has no value.

-- Till