My periodic bark at auto "tools" 2003/1 edition (was Re:rtems-ss-20030128)

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Mon Feb 3 15:15:23 UTC 2003

Hello,

... many lines snipped...

> > * Rebuild the rpms from source and edit the rpm.specs on your demands.
> > (This typically means to change the package names and the prefix - and
> > to read the manual of another tool: rpm)
>
> We have considered building release tools to install into a separate
> $prefix from snapshots.  Something like /opt/rtems-4.6 instead of
> /opt/rtems.  This doesn't solve your immediate problem but distinguishes
> release branch tools from development branch ones.

years ago there was an aproach of installing a given toolset
(gcc/binutils/newlib/etc...) to something like

/opt/rtems/gcc-2.95.2-binutils-2.8-newlib-x.y

Whenever you wanted to work with a given project and RTEMS
snapshot, the only thing to do was to include the
corresponding path into your PATH environment. I really like
this way of tool installation, because then each user can
select, which toolset is to be used for his project. This is
more or less the only way I know to install various toolset
versions on one machine.

Unfortunately the standard RPMs now come without that
installation prefix, I never quite made out why.

Wouldn't it solve many problems to go back to that LONG
installation prefix in the standard RPMs?

Thomas.
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
email:    Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
PGP public key available at: http://www.imd-