My periodic bark at auto "tools" 2003/1 edition (was Re:rtems-ss-20030128)

Jerry Needell jerry.needell at unh.edu
Mon Feb 3 20:04:07 UTC 2003

Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Hello Ralf,
>

>>Am Mon, 2003-02-03 um 16.15 schrieb Thomas Doerfler:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>... many lines snipped...

... many more lines snipped

> Another point: whenever somebody mentions the need to install
> multiple toolset versions on the same machine, he/she gets the
> answer "rebuild the toolset with different prefixes", well
> this once again leads to having toolset-dependent installation
> directories, and that's exactly what I would like to have.
>
> Maybe the naming scheme mentioned above is not the best one,
> maybe it would be better to couple the toolset install
> directory name to the RTMES snapshot version or something like
> that, but I think ANY version-dependent installation dirctory
> in the standard RPMs would be better than the current choices,
> that are:
>
> A:) Install only ONE toolset on a certain machine (and
> deinstall/install another toolset when you switch to a
> different RTEMS snapshot)
>
> or
>
> B:) Rebuild the RPMs (which is really easy, I like it now) and
> apply your own home-brewn naming scheme to the installation
> prefix.
>
> Any other opinions on this discussion?

I have had to deal with several different pre-compilled installations at
various times and found that the following worked well for me:

-install version A in /opt/rtems
-rename /opt/rtems to /opt/rtems-A

- install verion B in /opt/rtems
- rename /opt/rtems to /opt/rtems-B

-make a symbolic link from rtems-A or rtems-B to /opt/rtems depending on
which  installation I want to use at the time.

-- Jerry

Jerry Needell                     | Internet: jerry.needell at unh.edu
Space Science Center/Morse Hall   | Voice: (603) 862 2732
University Of New Hampshire       | FAX:   (603) 862 0311
Durham, NH 03824                  |