My periodic bark at auto "tools" 2003/1 edition (was Re:rtems-ss-20030128)

Jerry Needell jerry.needell at unh.edu
Mon Feb 3 20:17:19 UTC 2003

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Jerry Needell wrote:
>
>>Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Ralf,

>>... many more lines snipped
>>

>>>Another point: whenever somebody mentions the need to install
>>>multiple toolset versions on the same machine, he/she gets the
>>>answer "rebuild the toolset with different prefixes", well
>>>this once again leads to having toolset-dependent installation
>>>directories, and that's exactly what I would like to have.
>>>
>>>Maybe the naming scheme mentioned above is not the best one,
>>>maybe it would be better to couple the toolset install
>>>directory name to the RTMES snapshot version or something like
>>>that, but I think ANY version-dependent installation dirctory
>>>in the standard RPMs would be better than the current choices,
>>>that are:
>>>
>>>A:) Install only ONE toolset on a certain machine (and
>>>deinstall/install another toolset when you switch to a
>>>different RTEMS snapshot)
>>>
>>>or
>>>
>>>B:) Rebuild the RPMs (which is really easy, I like it now) and
>>>apply your own home-brewn naming scheme to the installation
>>>prefix.
>>>
>>>Any other opinions on this discussion?
>>>

>>I have had to deal with several different pre-compilled installations at
>>various times and found that the following worked well for me:
>>
>>-install version A in /opt/rtems
>>-rename /opt/rtems to /opt/rtems-A
>>
>>- install verion B in /opt/rtems
>>- rename /opt/rtems to /opt/rtems-B
>>
>>-make a symbolic link from rtems-A or rtems-B to /opt/rtems depending on
>>which  installation I want to use at the time.
>

> Be warned that RPM keeps a database of packages installed and this
> might confuse it.

good point and now that I think more about it, I misrepresented ny
approach. I have not been using the rpms, but rather rebuilding the
toolsets myself into /opt/rtems then renaming. Sorry for adding to the
confusion. I'll go back to lurking :-)

BTW - I had no problems building the entire toolchain from the
sources/patches in the cd-working directory for the sparc/erc32.
Everything went very smoothly and seems to be working fine.

-- Jerry

Jerry Needell                     | Internet: jerry.needell at unh.edu