sparc-rtems-gcc "-pg" option

Wed Feb 12 16:49:36 UTC 2003

CLAUDIO SICILIA wrote:

> Hy everybody!
>
> I'd like to use the sparc-rtems-gcc with option "-pg" in order to profile
> my C program.
> There is a problem with the automatically instanced mcount() function, as
> follows:
>
> `undefined reference to "_mcount"`
>
> with this command:
>
> `sparc-rtems-gcc -S -pg -O my_prog.c -o my_prog.s`
>
> Any suggestion about it?

_mcount is a CPU specific routine that supports profiling.
Here are some example implementations I found:

newlib-1.11.0/libgloss/i386/cygmon-gmon.c
newlib-1.11.0/libgloss/rs6000/mcount.S
gcc-3.2.1/libffi/src/powerpc/asm.h
gcc-3.2.1/gcc/config/m68k/aux-mcount.c

Here is the GNU manual reference to this:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/gprof-2.9.1/html_chapter/gprof_9.html

Having this routine supported by RTEMS would be considered a value
contribution.

FWIW collecting the data is 1/2 the battle, then you have
to get it off your target.