PPC initialization (SYSV-ABI/EABI/C++ issues).

till strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 13 17:20:39 UTC 2003

Sergei.

Thanks for shedding some more light on this. Could you clarify some more
points?
 - R13 should be set up regardless of RTEMS using EABI or SYSV, right?
   *** even if RTEMS is considered to be non-EABI, most BSPs are
probably ***
   *** broken as they currently fail to setup R13.
                              ***
 - it seems to me that R2/R13 don't really have to be set before _any_ C
code is executed
   but they must be set before any code compiled with
-msdata=eabi/sysv/use is called.
 - the current behavior (RTEMS calling __init from the ThreadHandler) is
wrong. An application
   using main (and hence calling __eabi) has C++ constructors called twice.
 - substituting __init in ThreadHandler by __eabi is wrong but it should
work as long as
    RTEMS does not _use_ R2 or R13 prior to executing __eabi.
 - the proper sequence would be:
     [0) if the relocation features are needed, relocation has to be
performed first ]
     1) initialize R13 / R2 (using linker magic as you proposed) as
early as possible
     2) initialize newlib
     3) call C++ constructors once ( __init from ThreadHandler)
     4) prevent app 'main' from calling __eabi
   That way, RTEMS itself and/or newlib could even benefit from the
short data areas
   (requires building with -msdata=eabi or sysv)

   NOTE: all of this can easily be achieved if __eabi can be prevented
from branching
                to __init. The BSP would then just call __eabi() at an
early stage and
                the ThreadHandler calls __init as it has always done.

 - do you see any other difference between -meabi and -mno-eabi besides the
   stack alignment requirement? Is there any problem in real life
resulting from
    misalignment?

The way I see it now (given the fact that some changes, even in the
toolchain, are
necessary anyways), it seems that RTEMS should be declared to support EABI
(as Joel proposed). Hopefully the multilib jungle can be reduced somewhat.

-- Till