Upgrading BSP from 4.5.0 questions

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Tue Feb 18 10:24:42 UTC 2003

Sorry for having to follow up my own posting, but ...

Am Mit, 2003-02-12 um 05.24 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> Am Mit, 2003-02-12 um 03.20 schrieb Paul Evans:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm looking at upgrading to a newer RTEMS (I'm
> > using the 2003-01-28 snapshot.) I've got a two questions
> > I'm hoping someone can help me with:
> >
> > * The 4.5.0 configure command I used was
> >  >config_command="../rtems-4.5.0/configure --target=m68k --enable-posix
> >  >--enable-cxx --prefix=/data/rtems/m68k-$VERSION
> >  >--program-prefix=m68k-rtems- --disable-networking --disable-itron
> >  >--enable-maintainer-mode"
> >
> > This no longer works for me, the --program-prefix is ignored,
> Right, program-prefix has been dropped.

This sentence was wrong ;(

--program-prefix is the prefix to be prepended to executables' names,
during installation of executables of a packages (not to those
executables being used during compilation)

--program-prefix is honored correctly by the Makefiles below tools/ in
RTEMS source-tree.

Former releases of RTEMS misused --program-prefix to specify the prefix
used to prefix cross-tools. This behavior was broken.

> > make tries to used tools named m68k-* instead of the oar
> > kit's rtems-m68k-*
> It tries to use <target>-*, ie. if using --target=m68k-rtems, the tools
> need to be called m68k-rtems-*.
If you _really_ want to override the prefix, you can try to by-pass the
default behavior by passing target_alias="<your-target-alias>" as
argument to the toplevel configure script.

I don't know if this actually works with RTEMS sources, have never tried
it, but also would not want to recommend to do this.

An alternative wrt. to CC in newer snapshots is passing CC_FOR_TARGET to
the toplevel configure (cf. ./configure --help in RTEMS' toplevel
directory).

Ralf