The eCos, QNX, ChorusOs irq handling API

Valette Eric eric.valette at free.fr
Thu Feb 20 17:09:12 UTC 2003

Sergei Organov wrote:
> Valette Eric <eric.valette at free.fr> writes:

> And I think it shouldn't. I think it should call driver code that in turn
> should disconnect handler if it is asked to. How to find a driver that owns
> the IRQ is another issue that IMHO requires more general handling at upper
> level (apparently through some kind of driver registration).

Nice try : to replace a simple function pointer you propose to add
driver registration routines... It surely simplify the API that as you
seem to recognise IRQ management API will not be complete without that...

> Yes, it could be used for that purpose. But for me it looks like a limited
> solution you've invented to overcome absence of generic drivers API.

Do you think we shall provide it to avoid the On/Off :-)

>>>Why? cyg_interrupt_mask(vector) will do.
>>
>>1) If tasks start manipulating the PIC because you expose this API, and are
>>prempted by other tasks performing the same thing vevrything will be rapidly
>>broken (To not even mention SMP problems with this API). You better disable
>>the real cause of the interrupt (device) because the PIC are shared among all
>>interrupts while the device is not.
>

> The PIC is shared resource, so *implementation* of API routines that needs to
> access the PIC should take care to use appropriate mutual exclusion
> primitives. Anyway, I don't see how the on/off interface helps here, sorry.

They cannot has there will be separate call to set the mask and restore
it later on. If you prevent any PIC access during this sequence, then
you cannot handle any other interrupts???

>>2) What if I want to mask a set of interrupt via a masks (as most moderm PIC
>>implement it)?
>

> With this particular API it obviously requires multiple calls to the routine.
> While I think it's rarely needed and thus multiple calls could be acceptable,
> I see two solution for this problem:
>
> 1. Design API that accepts bit masks.
>
> 2. Let BSPs provide specific optimized routines for more advanced hardware
>    management.
>
> I personally prefer (2).

First I think applying bit masks is the only way to implement the notion
of IRQ priority on many PICs.  Therefore applying masks is mandatory
contrary to what you suggest... Now, the masks are totally PIC dependent
and so even if you provide an API, any usage inside a drivers will be
surrounded by a zillion of ifdefs one for each PIC... And also when
there are cascaded hardware 5openPic + 8259, SIU +CPM), there are
several masks that should be applyied at diffrent time isnide the
handler routine...

>>>A driver could break anything no matter if acknowledge is performed by the
>>>generic layer or not. Anyway, if BSP writer decides to ack irqs in the
>>>generic layer, he can make interface 'cyg_interrupt_acknowledge(vector)'
>>>routine to be a no-op.

>>>I believe cyg_interrupt_mask()/cyg_interrupt_unmask() are exactly for this
>>>purpose, so the rest of your sentence below makes no sense.
>>
>>So each driver will then have to include the sequence :
>>	1) Get the current mask
>>	2) Apply a new mask than at least mask the current IRQ. BTW sometimes
>>         you want to mask more than one IRQ source so the proposed eCos API
>>         is not sufficient
>>	3) send an EOI
>>	4) reenable IRQ a processor level
>>	5) handle the hardware
>>	6) restore the original mask
>>
>>Great. Do you think It cannot be factorized as already done on Ix86 and PPC?
>>And do you really think you can avoid this sequence?
>

> I really think that it is *a* sequence, not *the* sequence, and I don't see
> why this one should be preferred over other possible sequences. The simplest
> possible sequence is:
>
>         1) handle the hardware
>         2) do something useful
>         3) acknowledge the IRQ

If you do that, then no other interrupt will occur before 3 and thus you
increase the global interrupt latency of the system by a single driver...

> where exactly one of (1), (2) or (3) could in fact be a no-op. I can build
> quite a few other likely sequences as well, and in fact I believe the sequence
> you've provided is one of the least likely sequences in real-time applications
> where it's a common practice to do absolute minimum of work in ISRs deferring
> as much as possible to threads level.

Well it is the sequence I have seen in Linux, ChorusOs, BSD, ... But
anyway 1,2,3 represent actually 5 instructions on Ix86, not much more on
PCC *BUT* That way I can say the interrupt latency is low...

> While I myself didn't carefully examine which implications SMP may have on the
> discussed API, I think that it is *the implementation* of the API should take
> care of SMP.

You simply cannot implememt SMP safe drivers API if you impose the usage
of PIC bitmask manipulation in handlers as several handler may be
executed concurently meaning that you have no mean the correct mask that
need to be restored before returning from hdl...

> Average driver writer will need to understand only API (the specific hardware
> the driver should manage aside), and suggested API is not platform/PIC
> dependent. The implementation of the API will manage PIC (if any), not driver
> writer.

Not if you impose to call routine that manipulate the PIC to correctly
hanlde an interrupt...

> Flexibility does matter here. Having slightly more complex handler worth the
> flexibility the approach provides, IMHO.

I disagree. Flexibility for you would probably be seen by many other on
this list as unecessary complexity...

> 1. Because it seems you believe there is an advantage. Don't you?
> 2. Because on(irq_number), unlike your p->on(irq_connect_data), could be even
>    an inline routine thus reducing to a few asm instructions, and I *do care*
>    about performance of such operation.

There is no performance impact has this code *again* is not called by
handler... You already forgot it?

> The more we discuss the issue the more feeling I have that it's not only
> useless, but also misleading. Maybe I'm the only so stupid here who doesn't
> understand what it is for?

For sure you are probably the only one who proposed many things
regarding the IRQ API without even suggesting that you would care to
really implement anything and not even taking care to see if the API
implementation is realistic or not on 8XX, motorola_shared or Ix86 :-)

--
    __
   /  `                   	Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76	Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette at free.fr