RPM rebuild made easier?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Feb 27 16:17:46 UTC 2003

Am Don, 2003-02-27 um 15.49 schrieb Joel Sherrill:
> Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> >
> > Hello Ralf,
> > > >

> > %define _prefix
> > %{?custom_prefix:%custom_prefix}%{!?custom_prefix:/opt/rtems}
> > Any further comments?
>
> ALthough this may result in RPMS that have different install points, it
> doesn't solve the problem that the packages conflict.  You can't install
> "group rtems package binutils X" and "group rtems package binutils Y".
> RPM will complain.
There exist tricks to achieve this with rpm itself (--nodeps), but most
rpm-tools will get confused about this (SuSE's YaST will have massive
problems; apt-rpm requires to use tricks in it's configuration)

>  I think that for this to work you have to override
> at least the group and prefix.
No, you have to change the package name (the Name:-tag inside of the
rpm-spec.

Cf. RTEMS automake-rtems.spec and autoconf-rtems.spec.
They install autoconf rsp. automake in parallel to the host system's
autoconf/automake, using different groups and prefixes.

Thomas proposal eases changing the compilation prefix by allowing to
override the default from rpm's command-line - That's all.

It does not consider nor solve parallel installation of different
versions of the rpms.
This would require to change the package names, eg. to use
binutils-rtems-4-6 + gcc-rtems-4-6 + gdb-rtems-4-6
_and_ additionally to use different prefixes for these packages.

Ralf