MCP750 PCI

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jan 21 20:16:29 UTC 2003

Hi Gregory.

Although I don't know if your 'strange results' (what exactly are you
observing??) could be caused by this, I wanted to bring to your
attention that the ld_xx/st_xxx macros don't enforce in-order execution
on PPC. PCI-space is mapped as 'guarded' hence stores are always
in-order, i.e.

st_le32(address1, val1);
st_le32(address2, val2);

is guaranteed to store val1 to addr1 prior to storing val2 to addr2.

However if you want to have

st_le32(address1, val1);
val2=ld_le32(address2);

executed in this order (i.e. enforce reading from address2 only after
val1 has been stored to address1), you should probably use the
out_xxx/in_xxx macros (which contain a 'eieio' instruction after the
load/store). Hence

out_le32(address1, val1);
val2=ld_le32(address2);

guarantees that val2 is read after writing val1. Similarly

val1=in_le32(address1);
st_le32(address2,val2);

guarantees that val2 is written after reading val1.

This is usually an issue when a device changes a CSR as a result to
writing another register:

st_le32(pReg,val);       /* write register */
EIEIO();                 /* note: out_le32 contains this EIEIO */
result = ld_le32(pCSR);  /* read result/CSR */

Without the EIEIO, it could be that 'result' is assigned a stale value.

HTH

-- Till

PS: Note that in special cases, SYNC instructions may be needed by
     a device driver to enforce memory synchronization.