makefiles and CVS

Fri Jan 24 14:25:46 UTC 2003

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 14:01, Salman wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I have a package here, which has its own makefile, and provides a single
> > object file, which should be loaded as module into the linux kernel.
> >
> > Now, i've modified the code to load into rtems, and it should be placed
> > in /libbsp/i386/pc386 directory. but i'm confused regarding Makefiles.
> >
> > RTEMS doc, states Makefile.in are the only makefiles required and the
> > configure script generates other makefiles from this. Can anyone suggest
> > how can I go about extracting Makefile.in files out of exisitng
> > Makefiles?
> No way. You need to manually write a Makefile.in or better (much easier)
> write a Makefile.am.

Sounds like some piece of documentation needs to be updated to reflect
the
use of automake now.  Hopefully Salman can point us to the broken
documentation.

Now this is the auto generated chain:

Makefile.am
  - automake produces Makefile.in
  - configure produces Makefile
configure.ac
  - auto??? produces configure.in
  - autoconf produces configure

Notice that I don't even remember offhand the complete magic.  I rely
on bootstrap also.

So Ralf is pointing you in the right direction, write a Makefile.am and
use bootstrap.  I can't believe that it wouldn't be easier to adapt an
existing RTEMS Makefile.am to compile the pieces you want than to
attempt
to bring a Linux Makefile in.  Ultimately, all you want to do is compile
a few files with possibly some macros defined.