TCP/IP for small memory devices

Wed Jul 9 00:31:09 UTC 2003

Derick Hammond wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Is there a document that suggests ways of tailoring the RTEMS
> implementation of the TCP/IP stack for small memory foot-prints?
>
> The target board that I am writing my application for has a total of
> 128KBytes of RAM, and I would like suggestions on how I can use the
> RTEMS TCP/IP stack in this memory foot-print.

Is this the total for code, data, bss, heap, etc?  Or do you have some
Flash/Rom for code space?

The code space for an application with TCP/IP is usually over 128K.  I
recall 256K being the
ballpark number on a 68k.

>   Or would it be worthwhile porting TinyIP to RTEMS?

Most certainly, yes.  It is designed for lower memory footprints.

There are others including http://dunkels.com/adam/uip/.  I don't know
which would be the best to
port.