Gnat/RTEMS questions

Wed Jul 16 18:13:08 UTC 2003

Per Dalgas Jakobsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of setting up a development environment in Windows for Gnat/RTEMS to be used on an embedded i386 PC target.
> I'm new to RTEMS and Ada, so please bare with me, if stupid questions are placed...
>
> --------
> State:
>
> I have installed RTEMS and GCC with Ada-support.
> Current set-up:
> *) rtems-ss-20030417
> *) gcc-3.2.3
> *) newlib-1.11.0
> Compiled with pc386 BSP - meant to be running on a standard(?) Pentium PC.
> Installed under Cygwin on a Windows 2000 box.
>
> My target is connected to host through an ethernet connection and boots via Etherboot (located on a local harddisk) from a tftp server on the host. Etherboot is configured for tagged- and elf-images.
>
> I have managed to compile and execute both the C and Ada hello-world examples. (ada-examples-20030129) - Very nice.
>
> --------
>
> Questions:
>
> What will be the simplest setup with the above constrains? Should I use i386-elf or just i386?

The target is i386-rtems.  That's it.  i386-elf is not an RTEMS target.
I don't know what i386 is but it probably is i386-elf.

> Any additional patches that can make life easier for the average developer?

No.

> Instead of this rather extensive makefile in the ada-example, I would like to be able to execute a "gnatmake <my_ada_file>" and get my executable. Is this possible at this point? I guess not - Ohh well, it's not that bad with the makefile.

Not likely since you have to specify very specific arguments for include
paths, etc..

> Anyone have a better setup for developing Gnat/RTEMS applications?

Personal preference but I prefer GNU/Linux over Cygwin.  But both
work.  Sometimes there are Cygwin specific issues which don't exist
on other platforms.  If you got this far and are happy, then stay. :)

> Where to find Ada-source-code, general and RTEMS-specific?

There used to be a number of Ada source sites.  Brave Ada Programmer.
See the comp.lang.ada FAQ for some help there.

There are a very small set of RTEMS Ada examples and some Ada
tests for the rtems.ads bindings but those binding tests are still
needing some Makefile and configuratin updates.  The goal of GNAT/RTEMS
is to provide a functional Ada run-time so you really shouldn't have
much to look at besides regular Ada code.  The RTEMS issues come in
when you want to configure a system, add device drivers, etc.
RTEMS