new RTEMS user

Fri Jul 25 16:39:34 UTC 2003

Ed Sutter wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm brand new to RTEMS.  I'd like to try it out on a PPC405
> board I have.  I just downloaded rtems-4.6.0pre4 and ran
> configure with the following options...
>
>    --target=powerpc-rtems --disable-itron --program-prefix=ppc-elf-

ppc-elf != ppc-rtems.  You should not attempt to use a plain ppc-elf
toolset to build RTEMS.  There are some subtle differences between
ppc-elf and ppc-rtems including specification of start and end files,
symbols predefined.

> I'm hoping to be able to build RTEMS using the CYGWIN X-TOOLS package
> from MicroCross, that's why I add the --program-prefix=ppc-elf-.
> Anyway, the "configure" ran through successfully, but when I ran
> make RTEMS_BSP="gen405" it very quickly told me it could not find
> "powerpc-rtems-gcc".  I thought that the "--program-prefix=ppc-elf-"
> would deal with this.  Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Well for one, --program-prefix is a broken option in the configure
script.
But the build wouldn't have been right anyway.

Why don't you down the Cygwin RTEMS tools at
ftp.oarcorp.com:/pub/rtems/cd-working.