cscope info

Aaron J. Grier aaron at frye.com
Wed Jul 30 18:28:57 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:17:09AM -0400, Ed Sutter wrote:
> 1. The output of the --line-numbers option to NM does not build the
>    relative paths properly (not sure why).  For example, one entry in the
>    output may be:
>    ../../../../../rtems-4.6.0pre4/c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/gen405/startup/bspclean.c
>    but the preceding "../../../../.." may not be right.

this is dependent on how you run configure.  if you always specify a
full path when running configure from your build directory, things work
out a little better.  so instead of ../../../../foo/bar/blatz you'll get
/usr/local/build/quux/../../../foo/bar/blatz.  it's still not terribly
readable, but gdb will have an easier time finding source files
without having to add a bunch of directory searches.

> 2. This only includes the files that actually originate symbols, so no
>    header files are in this list.  One crude way to add headers is to
>    just use find...
>    find BASEDIR -name '*.h' >>cscope.files
>    (where BASEDIR is top level of your RTEMS tree).
>    Bad thing about this is that it pulls in ALL header files, so the
>    output must be parsed.  A more accurate list of headers could
>    probably be derived from the output of "gcc -MM" (used to build a
>    file dependency list), but I haven't done that yet.

in general it'd be nice to have cross-directory dependencies in the
RTEMS tree.  I don't know if this has improved in 4.6.0, but in 4.5.0
changing a device driver header in a BSP won't necessarily force a
recompile of a test program which includes that header.  ideally I'd
like to see a non-recursive make, but that's quite a bit of work.  (:

and don't forget to add the inline files (.inl) and the
autotools-generated .h files (.h.in) to cscope's file list.

  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron at frye.com