unable to make install under cygwin

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Mar 12 07:26:26 UTC 2003

Am Mit, 2003-03-12 um 05.08 schrieb Angelo Fraietta:

> Angelo Fraietta wrote:
> > Joel Sherrill wrote:

> > > I downloaded over the weekend to my home computer and did a
> > > "native" Cygwin build without problems.
> > >
> > > I think you are right that // is special in Cygwin.
What kind of meaning does // have under Cygwin?

> > >  Can you tell
> > > from the logs where it started to come from? I believe it is looking
> > > for the host named "opt". :(
> > >

> > The error is occuring when it says
> > make install-data-hook
> >
> > the command says makedir -p   //opt/rtems/i386-rtems/pc386/lib
makedir? I guess you mean mkdir.

> > I have had a look in the makefile and it has
> >

> > install-data-hook: $(LIB)
> > 	@$(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)/$(libdir)
> > 	$(INSTALL_DATA) $(LIB) $(DESTDIR)/$(libdir)
> >

> > I have found in that libdir defined inthe makefile as
> > libdir = ${exec_prefix}/pc386/lib
> >
> > however DESTDIR is not defined anywhere in that file
This is correct. DESTDIR normally is empty, and is supposed to be
provided from the environment if wanting to shift the root of
installation tree. It typically is applied for building rpms, which
temporary installs to a temporary directory.

> Removing
> $(DESTDIR)/
> from the makefile allowed RTEMS to install,
The correct fix is to remove the "/" between $(DESTDIR) and $(libdir).

This '/' is wrong, but doesn't disturb under Unix.

If it disturbs under Cygwin, ... well, ...

> and I was successfully able to build and run the hello world example
> The libcpp project did not build
This is something else, more details (logs) please.
> .
> I built ticker, however, it failed when I tried to run it.
This is yet something else.

Ralf