GDB 5.2 Line number out of range error

Aaron J. Grier aaron at frye.com
Wed Mar 19 19:39:43 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 07:19:21AM +1000, Derick Hammond wrote:

> Hi Aaron:
>
> I have done the following to recompiled gcc. Using the
> m68k-rtems-gcc-3.2.1-newlib-1.11.0.spec file as a basis I compiled my own
> RPMS:
>
>     rtems-base-gcc-gcc3.2.2newlib1.11.0-P1.i386.rpm
>     m68k-rtems-gcc-gcc3.2.2newlib1.11.0-P1.i386.rpm
>
> The only difference in the rpm .spec file is that I use gcc-3.2.2 source
> unpatched, as opposed to gcc-3.2.1 source patched with
> gcc-3.2.1-rtems-20021209.diff.
>
> Question for the RTEMS Maintainers: Are there any patches required for
> m68k/Coldfire targets when using gcc-3.2.2? I saw one in the last
> couple of days, but I thought it was specific to the i386-rtems
> toolchain.

mmm... I have heard rumors that 3.2.2 should be avoided.  Joel and Ralf
will know for sure.

I personally use the gcc-3_2-branch via CVS, but I don't know how to
nicely package that via RPM.

> Anyway, I installed these packages and I am still getting the same
> "Line number out of range error" when setting a breakpoint on
> bsp_cleanup.

I'm quickly running out of ideas...   :P

> Question for Chris John: Could this problem be caused by patching
> gdb-5.2 with the gdb-5.2.1.patch?

does addr2line (built as part of binutils) produce the same rediculous
line number?  if it looks sane, the problem would appear to be with gdb.

> If you require any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

what debugging flags are you using when compiling? (IE -g, -gstabs,
-gdwarf-2, etc...)

  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron at frye.com