pppd namespace pollution

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 21 06:57:01 UTC 2003

Here are some symbols defined and globally exported by pppd.
I didn't even include things like "link_down", "exit_code", "write_char"
just the worst ones:

    debug output modem netmask protocols status user
    line character clean echo quiet report frame magic
    privileged die hostname ifname phase progname
    linep lock temp2 fcs demand framelen framemax
    crtscts devnam getword holdoff initializer inspeed
    kdebugflag linkname lockflag maxconnect maxfail
    nodetach notty passwd persist updetach welcomer
    print_string relock slprintf strlcat strlcpy
    unlock vslprintf read_packet setdtr sys_cleanup
    sys_close sys_init wait_input baud_rate detached
    devstat do_callback hungup novm prepass

IMHO, this is unacceptable for RTEMS-4.6. Couldn't you at least create a
'configure' option '--enable-pppd' as for the rdbg package, please? So
people who want to pollute their namespace have to explicitely ask for it?

Sorry for being a pain but this causes a lot of trouble for me.

-- Till.

PS. Ideally, all of those add-on applications should be unbundled
or at least made 'configure options'.

Here are some goodies from the webserver: "error", "trace", "dirname"