pppd namespace pollution

Valette Eric eric.valette at free.fr
Fri Mar 21 08:46:13 UTC 2003

Till Straumann wrote:
> Here are some symbols defined and globally exported by pppd.
> I didn't even include things like "link_down", "exit_code", "write_char"
> just the worst ones:
>
>    debug output modem netmask protocols status user
>    line character clean echo quiet report frame magic
>    privileged die hostname ifname phase progname
>    linep lock temp2 fcs demand framelen framemax
>    crtscts devnam getword holdoff initializer inspeed
>    kdebugflag linkname lockflag maxconnect maxfail
>    nodetach notty passwd persist updetach welcomer
>    print_string relock slprintf strlcat strlcpy
>    unlock vslprintf read_packet setdtr sys_cleanup
>    sys_close sys_init wait_input baud_rate detached
>    devstat do_callback hungup novm prepass
>
> IMHO, this is unacceptable for RTEMS-4.6. Couldn't you at least create a
> 'configure' option '--enable-pppd' as for the rdbg package, please? So
> people who want to pollute their namespace have to explicitely ask for it?
>
> Sorry for being a pain but this causes a lot of trouble for me.
>
> -- Till.
>
> PS. Ideally, all of those add-on applications should be unbundled
> or at least made 'configure options'.
>
> Here are some goodies from the webserver: "error", "trace", "dirname"

While I agree with the namespace polution problem, I think its easy to
understand why things are like that :
	- The sources for the program originally come from system where
namespace polution is not a problem as each process has its own address
space,
	- If you modify all the globals, tracking changes  of the original
packages and apply them becomes a nightmare,

So, at least, there is a tradeoff between name space polution and
easiness to apply original packages changes. So at least package
maintainer (if such a notion exist in rtems), should be prepared to have
  a lot more work if such changes are commited...

--
    __
   /  `                   	Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76	Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette at free.fr