bit scripts

Valette Eric eric.valette at free.fr
Mon Mar 17 09:39:36 UTC 2003

Valette Eric wrote:
> Angelo Fraietta wrote:
>
>> I have built the pre-release with the following tools and was able to
>> run the ticker example using the latest binutils but using
>> newlib-1.10.0-rtems-20021127.diff
>> gcc 3.2
>> gcc-3.2-rtems-20021114.diff
>> newlib-1.10.0-rtems-20021114.diff
>> newlib-1.10.0.tar.gz
>>

>> It may, therefore, be something wrong with the latest GCC/newlib
>

> Ok simply a preexisting memory corruption bug that gets triggereed by
> the combination of thoses new tools.
>
> Note : I used gcc 3.2.1 but also newlib 1.10.0 and
> newlib-1.10.0-rtems-20021127.diff...
>
> Side comment : going backward to find what has changed is fine as it may
> help understanding the bug, but fixing it in the *current* snapshot is
> more important :-) I cannot reproduce it yet...

Here are the bug found and fixed in gcc-3.2.2

     * 8032: GCC incorrectly initializes static structs that have
flexible arrays
     * 8639: simple arithmetic expression broken
     * 8794: optimization improperly eliminates certain expressions
     * 8832: traditional "asm volatile" code is illegally optimized
     * 8988: loop optimizer bug: with -O2, code is generated that
segfaults (found on i386, bug present for all platforms)
     * 9492: structure copy clobbers subsequent stores to structure

Some are rather bad IMHO. Anyone tried gcc-3.2.2?

--
    __
   /  `                   	Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76	Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette at free.fr