Problem Building mcf5206elite BSP under Cygwin - Workaround Found

Scott J scott.j at myrealbox.com
Thu Nov 6 00:39:19 UTC 2003

------ 'Ralf Corsepius' said the following on 2003-11-05 23:06 ------:
> On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 04:38, Scott J wrote:
>
>>------ 'Steve Strobel' said the following on 2003-11-01 0:53 ------:
>>

>>>I just got a successful build!!!  (OK, maybe it isn't that exciting, but after you spend days beating your head against the wall...)
>>>
>>>I first verified that the "build_alias" error occurred at different places in the build process at different times, even when opening a new cygwin console and running EXACTLY the same sequence of commands each time.  (In other words, something in the environment was inconsistent).  On a hunch, I tried disabling my virus scanner's "file system real time protection" (it is Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition V8.1.0.825) and it built successfully.  I still don't know why disabling the virus checker made a difference, but at least I have a way to get it to build now.
>>>
>>>I have tried leaving the virus checker enabled but excluding the cygwin directory tree;  that doesn't seem to work.  So the only workaround I know of at the moment is turning the real time protection completely off when rebuilding RTEMS.  It doesn't report finding any viruses (no false positives as far as I can tell).
>>
>>     I also met the build_alias error these days but my experience was
>>different from Steve's. My problem and solution had nothing to do with
>>the anti-virus software. My host is Windows 2K Pro SP4 and cygwin. All
>>of my drives are FAT32 format. I don't install any anti-virus software
>>or firewall. Everytime I logon to Windows as Administrator.
>>
>>     First I used "configure --prefix=/usr/rtems --enable-rtems-inlines
>>--disable-posix --disable-itron --disable-networking --disable-cxx
>>--disable-multiprocessing --enable-tests --disable-rdbg --enable-docs"
>>I got the build_alias error.
>>
>>     Then I changed to "configure  --prefix=/usr/rtems --disable-posix
>>--disable-itron --disable-networking --enable-tests --target=i386-rtems"
>>the configuration and make worked well.
>>
>>     You may notice that the first configure options and the second ones
>>are same on the whole.
>
> No, they are basically different.
>
> The first one triggers a native built, while the second one triggers a
> cross built -> i386-rtems (--target=i386-rtems).

Sorry, my fault. I made a mistake in my previous mail. Actually my first
command is
"configure --prefix=/usr/rtems --enable-rtems-inlines
--disable-posix --disable-itron --disable-networking --disable-cxx
--disable-multiprocessing --enable-tests --disable-rdbg --enable-docs
--target=i386-rtems". I did add the "--target=i386-rtems".

>> Options such as --enable-rtems_inlines,
>>--disable-cxx and --disable_rdbg are default settings. I thought the
>>first command I used should have the same effect as the second one did
>>but .... :(
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

What I meant is that I just omitted some default settings such as
"--enable-rtems-inlines" in my second command. I just think "default"
means that you don't need to use it explicitly, am I mistaken?

> IMO, as others also already pointed out, the problems you experience
> with build_alias originate from using a broken shell.
>
> At least some (older) versions of cygwin (I don't know if this applies
> to current Cygwin), ship ash as /bin/sh, because it is supposed to be
> leaner than other shells. Unfortunately this shell has proven to be
> stone-dead broken and unusable for more than primitive shell scripts.
>
> One work-around is to install bash as /bin/sh, ie. to copy /bin/bash.exe
> to /bin/sh.exe.

OK, I'll have a try. Thanks.