rtems-4.6pre5 building first time WITH Ada

paule at martexdesign.com paule at martexdesign.com
Mon Nov 10 03:08:03 UTC 2003

> Hi Joel,
>
> One error so far.  When rpm'ing rtems-4.6-i386-rtems-gdb-5.2.1.i686.rpm
>
> Got;
>
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.3) is needed by rtems-4.6-i386-rtems-gdb-5.2.1
>
> Will this clear up after I start building my libraries?
>
> Chris

<snip>

Hi,

The error message really means what it says :-)
This is a package installation issue, which is
different than any problem at runtime with the tools.

This rpm needs libc.so.6 which is the current "standard"
linux libc. The libc.so.5 that used to be the C library
that was used everywhere (Redhat 4.x, SuSe 5.x,
Caldera 1.3, Debian 1.x) is now obsolete. In fact,
the v6 library is GLIBC while the older one has a
completely different heritage IIRC.

Have a look at installing v6 from:

http://at.rpmfind.net/opsys/linux/RPM/libc.so.6.html

It's possible that you have it already but for some reason
it's not on your ld path. Try running something
like "find / -name "libc.so*" to see if there's one
hiding somewhere.

If there is, copy it to the correct path (usually /usr/lib) and
run ldconfig, then to verify that it worked:=20
"ldconfig  -p | grep libc.s"

Best,

    -Paul