unable to build eth_comm under CygWin

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Tue Nov 11 18:11:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 20:50, Dieter Schaefer wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2003 at 22:21, Victor V. Vengerov wrote:
>
> > Dieter,
> >
> > I feel I have met similar problem with make on cygwin before, but I
> > couldn't remember details.
> >
> > It may relates to
> >
> > - using of '\' and '/' in pathes and environment variables
> > - mount modes (particulary, ascii/binary)
> >
> > You may try to enter into the corresponding directory and run
> >
> > strace make preinstall | less
> >
> > and see what's happens before failure (this is hacker's way).
> >
> > Unfortunately I have no cygwin installed nearby, so I couldn't
> > reproduce situation quickly.
> >
> > Sorry, I couldn't advice anything more useful. May be cygwin
> > experts on the list can help?
> >
> > Victor
>
> I know, there are all kind of ugly things and side-effect in using CygWin.
> The strange thing (to me) is, that mcf5206elite builds without problems.
> I assume, there must be a difference in the input-files for auto-xxx
> because it's the same environment, and the same script to trigger the build.
> Maybe, one of the 'auto-tools experts' (Ralf Corsepius ?) has an idea?
This symptom:
make[5]: Entering directory
`/home/DiScha/rtems/rtems-build/build-ppc/powerpc-r
Makefile:745: *** missing separator.  Stop.^M
..
Indicates a corrupted Makefile, Makefile.in or Makefile.am

However, I can't see any corruption in the Makefile you had sent.

I also can't see you using any DOS path delimiters.

But I can see that your log file contains DOSish \r\n's. This indicates
using a file system mounted in text mode or using a DOSish editor
producing text-files with \r\n.

So my guess is that you might have corrupted files by using a DOSish
editor or using a partition mounted in text mode.

I haven't used Cygwin for quite some time, but with older Cygwin
releases the partitions were required to be mounted binary.
Also using a DOSish editor with autotools and their infrastructue is
known to be troublesome.

Ralf