UDP packet not sent

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 11 17:45:35 UTC 2003

Rolf Schroedter writes:
 > Hi Gregory,
 >
 > thanks for your answer, see my remarks below.
 >
 > gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
 > >
 > > UDP is free to drop your packet at any time, including the sending and
 > > receiving stack.  The sendto() return != -1 indicates only that the
 > > stack accepted your packet.  This is true for all stacks.  That said,

<snip>

 > > features for reliable file delivery as well as messaging all over UDP.
 > > Its one example at least...
 >
 > In my *real application* I'm doing an ACK/RETRY.
 > The problem is that after sending a lot of 1040 byte packets
 > even *all retries* of the 960 byte packet are dropped.
 >
 > Only after sending a smaller (240 byte) packet sending "somehow"
 > continues, but now with most packets dropped.
 >
 > Obviously with this behaviour any ACK/RETRY regime will stuck.
 >
 > The question is, whether this is a general (RTEMS-IP) problem
 > or a OPEN_ETH driver bug ?
 >
 > I'm attaching send a small sample UDP-writer application
 > illustrating the problem.

Ah, I see- thats a different problem.  In your udpclose function, you
call the various rtems_ info functions.  If you call them before and
after the packets are lost, are the lost packets being properly
counted?

Its not inconceivable theres a bug in the driver, but I would not
suspect one in the IP stack itself.

Gregm