RTEMS on Altera NIOS processor

Wed Oct 1 22:55:02 UTC 2003

Brett Swimley wrote:

> Xlinx has their MicroBlaze processor and associated GNU tool chain
> available from their website.  I believe there is a ucLinux port out
> there for the MicroBlaze.
>
> I looked into it a bit about a month ago as an option for us but it
> looked a bit premature for our use, as I recall.

This doesn't look like a particularly hard port either.  With 5 minutes
of analysis, the interrupt model
looks somewhat like the ARM or MIPS where you end up in a general
routine and have to go fishing
to determine what happened.

The gdb simulator specifically does not have any interrupt sources
according to the documentation
so one would probably want to use the cycle accurate XMD after a certain
point.

I should have mentioned on the other post that generally RTEMS is quite
stable quickly on a port.
Most of RTEMS is completely processor independent so it is just a matter
of getting the CPU
dependent code right.  There is also very little performance tuning for
the same reason.

--joel