Can I use old gcc?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Mon Sep 1 05:44:54 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 21:24, Leon Pollak wrote:
> Hello.
> 	For some specific reason I am forced to use the old gcc 2.95 (old
> binults, etc...).
I wonder why one would want to do THAT :-) ?

> 	Is it possible to compile last snapshot with it?

Formal answer: Officially no. It may work, it may not, your mileage may
vary.

Informal answer: Nobody has tried it.
A recent rtems-gccs can work for some targets, but I would not expect it
to work out of the box and having apply hacks to gcc. Really old
rtems-gccs very probably won't work (newlib is the most part).

Basically, I would expect you to trip issues related to:
* headers having moved between newlib and RTEMS.
* multilib-variant changes (Some targets now use different
multilib-variants, esp. the powerpc and the arm.).
* C++-binding issues (ctors/dtors).
* specs issues: Here, some parts of bsp_specs have been moved into gcc.
In near future (and near futures snapshots) further parts of bsp_specs
probably will be moved into gcc (This issue however probably will be
transparent to you if you do not adopt related change into your
bsp_specs).

So, if you really must use gcc-2.95.x, I'd recommend you to try and see
how far you'll get. If it doesn't work you'd have to backport the
gcc-3.x and newlib changes to your gcc-2.95.x.

Ralf