RTEMS vs VxWorks

Wed Sep 3 16:35:21 UTC 2003

Carl-Johan Hansson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm working for a company that for a long time used VxWorks as the main
> RTOS in their products, now I want to shift to RTEMS because it's
> cheaper and I don't want to give away more money to Wind River. But now
> I need to persuade my boss but I lack information about the differences
> in performance between RTEMS and VxWorks.
>
> So my question is: Anyone made a compare regarding speed, code size, and
> memory usage?

I'm surprised that Greg Menke hasn't piped up by now. :)

http://that.gsfc.nasa.gov/osgroup/

has a link to their benchmarks.

Code size and memory usage in RTEMS are directly related to the
functionality and number of OS objects  used by an application.
They are also dependent on the CPU in question.  And real application
size includes a BSP and BSPs vary a lot in size.

Typical numbers for a low end application code size are usually between
50K and 100K depending on CISC, RISC, etc.  Larger applications like
networking including servers (httpd, ftpd, etc) tend to be in the
250K-400K range again depending upon CPU and BSP.

I would love to see more size comparions.