sparc-rtems-size

Tue Sep 9 10:55:47 UTC 2003

Fabio Degiovanni - Eicas wrote:

> Thank you very much for your help, I appreciated it very much.
> I need to solve compleatly the problem, so I have some more questions:
> -you told me that most likely the .bss section is not included in the
> output image. I presume that this happen always because the
> uninitialised data are created run-time. Am I right?

Since it is uninitialized variables, it is really just reserved space in
memory which is reserved in the linker script.
I have also seen linker scripts with minor errors which resulted in
extra large bss sizes being reported.  Is
your linker script in the primary tree or custom?

> -you told me that I must have some huge arrays declared in that code,
> but I presumed that my bss section would have been much smaller. I
> tried to do sparc-rtems-size to every object files and than I summed
> up and I found:
>  text    data     bss     dec     hex
> 117506  181240    4816  303562   4a1ca
> Is the difference between the object files size and executable file
> only due to the static linking of rtems libraries? In this case it
> seems that the umount of uninitilalised data is introduced by the
> rtems libraries. What's the difference between doing sparc-rtems-size
> on the executable and on the object files?

The libraries just like you think.  I don't think there is 9806288 -
4816 in uninitialized data in
any of the libraries.  You are only pulling in about another 100K of
code but getting 9.4 MB
of data.

I think there might be a linker script file mistake in this case.  Which
one are you using?

Also look at the symbol table sorted by size (sparc-rtems-nm --size-sort
--extern-only)
and see what's so big.

--joel