minimum heap size

Chris Johns cjohns at cybertec.com.au
Fri Sep 12 08:10:41 UTC 2003

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> It is where all malloc() requests come from so
> is strictly application dependent.

RTEMS (via newlib) does use the heap so this is not completely true.

If an application did not allocate any memory from the heap, I think you would still
need to provide a heap for libc plus other code to work. For example I think a printf
call results in an stdio buffer being allocated. I also know the DOSFS uses the heap.

I remember meantion of a heap size call so maybe a test of:

void Init ()
{
   print_heap_usage ();
}

would be worth a try.

--
  Chris Johns, cjohns at cybertec . com . au