arm-rtmes-ld problem

Jay Monkman jtm-list-rtems at smoothsmoothie.com
Tue Sep 23 16:40:38 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:42:24PM +0200, Francesco Poletti wrote:

> Hy all,
> I'm facing problems with the arm cross-platform toolchain provided on your
> site. The compilation stage seems to work well, but during the link stage I
> meet this error:
>
> arm-rtems-ld: ERROR: test.o uses hardware FP, whereas linked.o uses software
> FP
> File format not recognized: failed to merge target specific data of file
> test.o

I ran into this problem when trying to link in an object file
generated by objcopy. objcopy was being used to make a linkable object
out of a regular file.

If this is what's happening to you, you might be able to work around
it removing the objcopy, and linking in the file directly. If you had
something like the following (this is from memory, so the syntax may
not be exact, but should be close)

	  arm-rtems-objcopy -o file.o file
	  arm-rtems-ld -o program program.o file.o

You should be able to change it to

	  arm-rtems-ld -o program program.o -b file