PCI mmap - How do I access a PCI board address space?

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 25 19:37:21 UTC 2003

Hugo writes:
 > On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 15:29, Eric Valette wrote:
 > > gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
 > > >

 > Hi!
 > I have one question about Greg's explanation, please consider that my
 > target architecture is i386.
 >

 > Greg, when at the end of your text you say "but its better to use the IO
 > primitives given by RTEMS" do you mean the "outport/inport" functions?

Yes, though now they are often implemented as #defines.  On the x86,
you have IO and memory accesses, so the operations are different.  On
non-x86, everything looks like a memory access, but if you use these
standard functions, you don't have to worry about it.

 > And another question about Eric's text:
 >
 >   I was unable to find mmu functions to the i386 target architecture,
 > where are they located?

Look in the dec21140 network driver, in the routine that initializes
the hardware.  In there you'll see an example of a memory region being
set up thru the mmu.  Your code would do the same sort of thing.

Gregm