newlib malloc/memalign

Chuck Tuffli chuck_tuffli at agilent.com
Tue Sep 30 15:16:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 04:52:53PM -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Chuck Tuffli wrote:
>
> >I saw a posting* in March that talks about switching from using RTEM's
> >malloc to the one in newlib. I'm interested in using the memalign
> >function and was wondering what would I need to do to implement this
> >support.
> >
> >*
> >http://www.rtems.com/rtems/maillistArchives/rtems-users/2003/march/msg00050.html
>
> The first step would be to disable the malloc code in RTEMS,
> provide the malloc mutex used by newlib (see the gxx_thread_wrappers
> in RTEMS), and arrange for newlib to use the memory formerly
> given to our own malloc.

Ok, I'm probably being dense, but I don't see a mutex being taken
in the malloc code in cpukit/libcsupport/src/malloc.c (unless the
mutex is part of rtems_region_get_segment()). I'm also not finding
the gxx_thread_wrappers you refered to in either newlib or RTEMS.
Where am I going wrong?

This is building off the CVS tag rtems-ss-20030703, newlib 1.11 and
gcc 3.2.3

--
Chuck Tuffli
Agilent Technologies