More PowerPC cache hijinks (dcbf requires sync?)

Phil Torre ptorre at zetron.com
Thu Sep 11 21:11:46 UTC 2003

In the particular case I'm looking at, I am writing to buffers
which are shared between the PowerPC core on an MPC8xx and different
devices on the CPM (SMCs, SCCs, SPI port).  Since my buffers are
allocated off of the heap (and thus are cacheable), I need to force
a cache line flush after writing to the buffer but before telling
the other bus master that it can read from the buffer.  (My original
message contained an error, I meant _CPU_cache_flush_1_data_line(),
rather than _CPU_cache_invalidate_1_data_line().)

I assumed that rtems_cache_flush_multiple_data_lines() would always
be called for that purpose; it hadn't occurred to me that someone
might use it to make space in the cache.  So I guess the right thing
is to put the sync instruction in my application code after
rtems_cache_flush_multiple_data_lines() returns.

-Phil