PCI mmap - How do I access a PCI board address space?

Eric Valette eric.valette at free.fr
Thu Sep 25 19:34:25 UTC 2003

Chris Caudle wrote:
> Eric Valette wrote:
>
>>I would like to add to this that for IX86, as registers access
>>region must be mapped non cacheable and the processor
>>does not support cache manipulation without the mmu, you
>>also need to remap the memory address range non cacheable
>>via mmu.
>

> If using a typical personal computer style X86, I think that the
> machine BIOS should make sure that all of PCI memory space is
> non-cacheable for you.

Not at all : How could the BIOS modyfy the way the CPU access PCI
address space? I'm not speaking about PCI configuration space or IO
based register access but about memory mapped register access...

> Of course, if you are writing for a deeply embedded system where the
> BSP has to handle all of the MMU setup you need to take this into
> account, but I don't think the application will have to worry about that
> detail when running on the pc386 BSP.

This is wrong. Look at the dec21XXX network driver.

--
    __
   /  `                   	Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76	Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette at free.fr