Posix semaphores : Doubt

sashti srinivasan svasn_rtems at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 07:06:17 UTC 2004

Hello,

     I have a few doubts about using POSIX semaphores.
 May I have some suggestions on these?

(1)  If I configure for a maximum of N semaphores,
does it mean that I can call sem_init() only N times
or (Number of calls to sem_init)- (Number of calls to
sem_destroy) should be less than N at any point in
time during execution?

(2) If the latter is correct, one of the calls to
sem_init() returns ENOSPC.  What are the possible
reasons?  If this is discussed somewhere, please give
me pointers.

(3) Times for various mutex and semaphore operations
vary significantly.  Please suggest a reason why these
operations do not take deterministic amount of time.

With Regards
Srinivasan