pc386 PCI question

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 6 14:27:17 UTC 2004

Joel Sherrill writes:

 > This was sent directly to me and the return address
 > appeared to be hidden.  First, I don't know what network
 > device driver is being used.  Second, this is an
 > apparent inconsistency in the i386/shared code.  The
 > file pci/pcibios.c is referencing those symbols
 > (BusCountPCI and BSP_pciFindDevice) and I do not know
 > where (or if) they are supposed to be.  I would appreciate
 > some insite from someone out there so this can really be
 > resolved.
 >
 > --joel

This is the case where the x86 and ppc PCI support not being
integrated is causing trouble.  These functions were originally
implemented in libbsp/powerpc/shared/pci, but lacking a unified PCI
api, some time ago I ported them to i386/shared/pcibios.c to provide
functionality in support of the elnk and dec21140 drivers.

i386/shared/pci/pcibios.c implements BSP_pciFindDevice, but that
function requires BusCountPCI.  However I don't see where BusCountPCI
got off to- it should be imiplemented in pcibios.c.  I think it got
removed somehow since I did build-test the drivers for i386.  Until
someone who knows how to make the pcibios calls in i386 go shows up to
obtain a real bus count, a temporary workaround could be to add the
following to pcibios.c;

unsigned char BusCountPCI()
{
  return 1;
}

this will support pci busses with no bridges to secondary busses,
which should handle pc kinds of systems.  A proper solution is to use
the pcibios calls to probe the PCI bus at boot time to find its
extent.

Gregm