RTEMS on ARM

Jay Monkman jtm-list-rtems at smoothsmoothie.com
Wed Apr 7 15:21:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 03:20:02PM -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Jay have you ever looked at the symbol table for those executables or
> the output of -Map with the linker?
>
> Since minimum and hello are essentially the same size, that indicates
> that at least printf() is being forced in by the BSP or some ARM
> support code.  It is also possible that the BSP has some unnecessary
> references to subsystems that are not used in minimal configurations.

printf() is used in the ethernet driver. I just built several 68k
BSPs, and they all had similarly sized minimum and hello samples.

On the CSB337 BSP, the BSS section is somewhat larger than
necessary. There's a copy of the translation table for the MMU. This
could go in readonly memory, since it's not modified. That would save
at least 16K in RAM.

Also, there's some remnants of an instruction abort handler that
shouldn't be there. I thought I had sent a patch to remove it, but
maybe not. (I'll create it again and submit it soon.) That will save
another 4K+.