PPC405GPr with RTEMS + Support?

Smith, Gene gene.smith at siemens.com
Thu Aug 5 19:47:10 UTC 2004

I also found a bsp in rtems cvs called gen405 which seems to cover the
PPC405gp except for the network driver. The part contains a built-in
ethernet controlled called "EMAC." Don't see anything about that
specific function in rtems. There is a driver that comes with the
"walnut" package from IBM (don't have the actual board). Not sure if it
is compatable with RTEM license.  The driver source contains this statement:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"This source and object code has been made available to you by IBM on an
AS-IS basis.

IT IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR OF
NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. IN NO EVENT SHALL IBM OR ITS
LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES.
IBM'S OR ITS LICENSOR'S DAMAGES FOR ANY CAUSE OF ACTION, WHETHER IN
CONTRACT OR IN TORT, AT LAW OR AT EQUITY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM
OF $1,000 PER LICENSE. No license under IBM patents or patent
applications is to be implied by the copyright license.

Any user of this software should understand that neither IBM nor its
licensors will be responsible for any consequences resulting from the
use of this software.

Any person who transfers this source code or any derivative work must
include the IBM copyright notice, this paragraph, and the preceding two
paragraphs in the transferred software.

Any person who transfers this object code or any derivative work must
include the IBM copyright notice in the transferred software.

    COPYRIGHT   I B M   CORPORATION 2000
    LICENSED MATERIAL  -  PROGRAM PROPERTY OF  I B M"

The ALL CAPS text sounds like someone (IBM, RTEMS/OAR or a user) might
be liable up to $1000 for something.

There also exists a "penguinppc" linux driver for EMAC/405gp but
deriving from it would defintely violate the RTEMS' GPL
extension/addendum unless my whole project released as GPL, I think.

Any lawyers reading this? :-)

-gene