PPC405GPr with RTEMS + Support?

Thu Aug 5 20:07:45 UTC 2004

Smith, Gene wrote:
> I also found a bsp in rtems cvs called gen405 which seems to cover the
> PPC405gp except for the network driver. The part contains a built-in
> ethernet controlled called "EMAC." Don't see anything about that
> specific function in rtems. There is a driver that comes with the
> "walnut" package from IBM (don't have the actual board). Not sure if it
> is compatable with RTEM license.  The driver source contains this
> statement:
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> "This source and object code has been made available to you by IBM on an
> AS-IS basis.
>
> IT IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF
> MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR OF
> NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. IN NO EVENT SHALL IBM OR ITS
> LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES.
> IBM'S OR ITS LICENSOR'S DAMAGES FOR ANY CAUSE OF ACTION, WHETHER IN
> CONTRACT OR IN TORT, AT LAW OR AT EQUITY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM
> OF $1,000 PER LICENSE. No license under IBM patents or patent
> applications is to be implied by the copyright license.
>
> Any user of this software should understand that neither IBM nor its
> licensors will be responsible for any consequences resulting from the
> use of this software.
>
> Any person who transfers this source code or any derivative work must
> include the IBM copyright notice, this paragraph, and the preceding two
> paragraphs in the transferred software.
>
> Any person who transfers this object code or any derivative work must
> include the IBM copyright notice in the transferred software.
>
>    COPYRIGHT   I B M   CORPORATION 2000
>    LICENSED MATERIAL  -  PROGRAM PROPERTY OF  I B M"
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> The ALL CAPS text sounds like someone (IBM, RTEMS/OAR or a user) might
> be liable up to $1000 for something.
>
> There also exists a "penguinppc" linux driver for EMAC/405gp but
> deriving from it would defintely violate the RTEMS' GPL
> extension/addendum unless my whole project released as GPL, I think.
>
> Any lawyers reading this? :-)

I don't need a lawyer to know that I wouldn't touch the IBM code and
you are spouting the party line on the Linux kernel.  All that ranting
on my part has paid off. :)

NetBSD has a driver for the 405 EMAC in src/sys/arch/powerpc/ibm4xx
based upon my last checkout of their source.  cvsweb.netbsd.org is
inaccessible right now to me.

The dev subdirectory has if_emacs* which should be exactly what you
want as a starting point.  There are multiple people on the list who
have transformed BSD network drivers into RTEMS drivers.