PPC405GPr with RTEMS + Support? (+ License talk)

Fri Aug 6 17:59:08 UTC 2004

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 16:43, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
>
>>Smith, Gene wrote:
>>
>>>Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com> wrote, On 8/5/2004 4:07 PM:
>

>>Ralf.. as of June 6, the current FreeBSD code still had this in it.
>>What is their policy again?
>

> See http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html
>
> And the paragraphs on NetBSD vs. FreeBSD from
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
> NetBSD comes with a long list of different sentences, required by the
> various licenses for parts of the system. In a 1997 version of NetBSD, I
> counted 75 of these sentences. I would not be surprised if the list has
> grown by now.

I got into this problem with some ARM code in NetBSD I wanted to merge
(at the request of an RTEMS user) info newlib.  It had some odd
personal advertising clause and I could never get anyone to
say OK to dropping it.

> To address this problem, in my ``spare time'' I talk with developers who
> have used BSD-style licenses, asking them if they would please remove
> the advertising clause. Around 1996 I spoke with the developers of
> FreeBSD about this, and they decided to remove the advertising clause
> from all of their own code. In May 1998 the developers of Flick, at the
> University of Utah, removed this clause.
>
> Dean Hal Varian at the University of California took up the cause, and
> championed it with the administration. In June 1999, after two years of
> discussions, the University of California removed this clause from the
> license of BSD.
>
> In practice, the situation is: FreeBSD is gradually removing it, however
> it is still in place at some spots.
 >
> What I can't answer:
> Can the original UCB ad-clause be neglected, because it can be presumed
> the UCB  won't enforce it, rsp. can the UCB-ad-clause be considered
> removed even if it is physically present in code?

 From my understanding, the answer is yes.  And my understanding is based
upon this:

http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/license.html

--joel