cygwin configure problem

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Aug 18 01:44:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 19:23, Smith, Gene wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote, On 8/17/2004 11:47 AM:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 17:16, Smith, Gene wrote:
> >

> >>cd `pwd`
> >>Pwd generates a string containing "Documents and Settings" but cd
> >>trucates it at the first un-escaped space producing just ".../Documents"
> >>which causes the choke.
> >>
> >>Guess I will have to move my rtems stuff to where the cygwin path
> >>contains no spaces.
> >
> > Exactly. It's a general limitation with all autoconf generated configure
> > scripts. There are occasions where quoting strings containing white
> > spaces fail. Sometimes, the cause is a bug in autoconf, sometimes the
> > cause is a bug in the shell being used, sometimes it's a bug elsewhere.
FWIW: The bug you've hit is a quoting bug in RTEMS.

Once having fixed this one you'll trip a similar known quoting bug in
autoconf, which already had been fixed in autoconf CVS, but is still
open in released version. Later, you'll trip yet another a new quoting
bug in autoconf :)

> > Rule of thumb: Don't use whitespaces.
> >
> > Ralf
>
> I agree. They are evil in pathnames, email address, URLs etc. But some
> OS vendors seem to encourage them. ;)
>
> Anyhow, I moved my rtems stuff to a space-free path and now am stumped
> again. Spits out this after going a while,
>
> configure: error: invalid variable name: build_alias
> configure: error: /bin/sh
> '../../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/generic/configure' failed for generic
> configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/configure'
> failed for tools/cpu
This issue had been reported many times (Please check this list's
archives).

I am not using Cygwin myself, and therefore hardly can help, but AFAIU
the Cygwin users' reports, this is a bug in Cygwin.

Ralf