cygwin configure problem

Smith, Gene gene.smith at siemens.com
Wed Aug 18 21:31:32 UTC 2004

Ralf Corsepius wrote, On 8/18/2004 1:10 AM:

> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 05:34, Gene Smith wrote:
>
>>Ralf Corsepius wrote, On 08/17/2004 09:44 PM:

>>>FWIW: The bug you've hit is a quoting bug in RTEMS.
>>>
>>>Once having fixed this one you'll trip a similar known quoting bug in
>>>autoconf, which already had been fixed in autoconf CVS, but is still
>>>open in released version. Later, you'll trip yet another a new quoting
>>>bug in autoconf :)
>>
>>Any bugzilla numbers for these looming bugs?
>

> I believe to have fixed the RTEMS specific bugs in rtems-4.7/CVS-head
> and submitted a fix to one of the autoconf bugs to the
> autoconf-patches at gnu.org, a couple of hours ago.
>
> A fix to other autoconf bug is in autoconf-CVS and is dated 2003-11-24.
>
> I have prepared a patch to autoconf-2.59 comprising both
> autoconf-patches and have placed it into RTEMS-CVS.
> http://www.rtems.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=RTEMS&cmd=view&pr=672
>
> I am not sure, if this issue is serious enough to justify backporting
> the bug-fixes to rtems-4.6.

>>>This issue had been reported many times (Please check this list's
>>>archives).
>>>
>>>I am not using Cygwin myself, and therefore hardly can help, but AFAIU
>>>the Cygwin users' reports, this is a bug in Cygwin.
>>>
>>>Ralf
>>
>>Yes, I could see it was reported but a definite reason was never given.
>>(Sometimes shutting down virus checking and other programs helped.) Has
>>anyone actually used cygwin to build and manage a successful rtems project?
>
> <wild guesses>
> I'd guess it to be an address violation deep inside of Cygwin or Win,
> probably being triggered by a memory leak or buffer overrun somewhere.
> So I'd assume the "virus protection stuff interferences" actually to be
> secondary effects.
>
> Some users had reported only particular Cygwin and Win versions to be
> affected, so I would not exclude upgrading Cygwin could help.

I am not an expert on cygwin but I think I have the latest version since
  I user the cyg-setup.exe method which connects you online and keeps
you up to date when you upgrade or install a new package.

> Other users reported switching the shell being used as /bin/sh helped
> [Some versions of Cygwin use a broken "ash" as /bin/sh. Using bash or
> ksh as /bin/sh (copying bash/ksh to /bin/sh) sometimes has helped.
> zsh, pdksh and dash are known to suffer from general bugs, but if all
> else fail, they also are worth a try.]

I upgraded my cygwin bash to the latest and made sure /bin/sh was in
fact the same as /usr/bin/bash which is bash.

> Another potential issue with Cygwin is environment variables interfering
> (LIBS, OBJS, CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS etc.). There are spots inside of the
> Makefiles where they can interfere, but I don't see how this can take
> effects, here.

This sounds like something to look into. I couldn't get rtems to build
on linux either. The problem was that I needed the <INSTALL_PT>/bin
first in the path rather than last as show on pg 27 of "Getting Started..."

Thanks for the guesses and details on the "looming" bugs
-gene