cygwin configure problem

Steve Strobel steve at link-comm.com
Tue Aug 24 17:27:29 UTC 2004

At 06:37 AM 8/19/2004 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>[snip]
>configure: error: invalid variable name: build_alias
>[snip]
>Makes me wonder if we might be hitting some "max. processes", "max.
>files/buffers", "max. stack size" or similar issues on Cygwin/Win.
>[I am thinking along the lines of processes temporarily not properly
>deallocating resources - something like "transient zombies"]

That is my suspicion too, though I haven't been able to identify which limit I am exceeding.  When I was able to build about half the time (getting "build_alias" the other half), I could reboot, open bash in Cygwin, and start the configure/make, then not touch the computer until it finished or failed and get different results each time.

Adding more memory didn't seem to help.  The number of handles used isn't especially high when it fails.  Sometimes it would succeed with a bunch of other programs running and heavy processor use.  It reminds me of the stray pointer bugs I have fought on embedded projects, where adding a character to a printf can cause a problem to go away for a while, until the stray pointer hammers something different in a later version.

> Interestingly, I built a test m68k executable of "main() {}" and
>> tried to run it with NAV enabled and it was allowed with no
>> NAV messages.
>built? Do you mean you invoking the compiler worked?

Though it seemed that disabling Symantec anti-virus helped at times, I never ran enough builds to get good statistics (once I got one successful build, I always made changes, so it was hard to compare).  Succeeding one time out of two or one time out of four isn't very conclusive.

>Well, this spawns far less processes and involves far less tools than
>configuring the source tree :-)

I have never seen the build_alias problem except when building RTEMS itself.  Our application uses the same tools and builds 100% of the time.  It is also fairly large, but not nearly as deeply nested (in the recursive build sense).

>Ralf.

---
Steve Strobel
Link Communications, Inc.