make problem with cygwin

Martin R. Calsyn martin at commonspace.net
Thu Aug 26 15:13:05 UTC 2004

I ran into this same problem.  The 'multiple targets' error is a bit
misleading.  I solved the error by removing the .PRECIOUS entry/entries
on or immediately before the line indicated (567 in your example below).
I encountered this in perhaps six makefiles and each time it was solved
by removing a dotted makefile directive.

I haven't dug deeper into why this is happening - it seems to be an
incompatibility with the 'make' packaged in cygwin.  I haven't submitted
deltas because I don't have enough confidence that this is a proper fix
or just a workaround for cygwin weirdness.

FWIW, I am running WinXP SP1 on a dual-proc AMD 1900+ with 1Gb mem, CA
eTrust AV, and a heavy process mix.

--Martin