cygwin configure problem

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Aug 18 05:10:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 05:34, Gene Smith wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote, On 08/17/2004 09:44 PM:

> > FWIW: The bug you've hit is a quoting bug in RTEMS.
> >
> > Once having fixed this one you'll trip a similar known quoting bug in
> > autoconf, which already had been fixed in autoconf CVS, but is still
> > open in released version. Later, you'll trip yet another a new quoting
> > bug in autoconf :)
>
> Any bugzilla numbers for these looming bugs?

I believe to have fixed the RTEMS specific bugs in rtems-4.7/CVS-head
and submitted a fix to one of the autoconf bugs to the
autoconf-patches at gnu.org, a couple of hours ago.

A fix to other autoconf bug is in autoconf-CVS and is dated 2003-11-24.

I have prepared a patch to autoconf-2.59 comprising both
autoconf-patches and have placed it into RTEMS-CVS.
http://www.rtems.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=RTEMS&cmd=view&pr=672

I am not sure, if this issue is serious enough to justify backporting
the bug-fixes to rtems-4.6.

> >>I agree. They are evil in pathnames, email address, URLs etc. But some
> >>OS vendors seem to encourage them. ;)
> >>
> >>Anyhow, I moved my rtems stuff to a space-free path and now am stumped
> >>again. Spits out this after going a while,
> >>
> >>configure: error: invalid variable name: build_alias
> >>configure: error: /bin/sh
> >>'../../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/generic/configure' failed for generic
> >>configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../rtems-4.6.1/tools/cpu/configure'
> >>failed for tools/cpu
> >
> > This issue had been reported many times (Please check this list's
> > archives).
> >
> > I am not using Cygwin myself, and therefore hardly can help, but AFAIU
> > the Cygwin users' reports, this is a bug in Cygwin.
> >
> > Ralf
>
> Yes, I could see it was reported but a definite reason was never given.
> (Sometimes shutting down virus checking and other programs helped.) Has
> anyone actually used cygwin to build and manage a successful rtems project?
<wild guesses>
I'd guess it to be an address violation deep inside of Cygwin or Win,
probably being triggered by a memory leak or buffer overrun somewhere.
So I'd assume the "virus protection stuff interferences" actually to be
secondary effects.

Some users had reported only particular Cygwin and Win versions to be
affected, so I would not exclude upgrading Cygwin could help.

Other users reported switching the shell being used as /bin/sh helped
[Some versions of Cygwin use a broken "ash" as /bin/sh. Using bash or
ksh as /bin/sh (copying bash/ksh to /bin/sh) sometimes has helped.
zsh, pdksh and dash are known to suffer from general bugs, but if all
else fail, they also are worth a try.]

Another potential issue with Cygwin is environment variables interfering
(LIBS, OBJS, CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS etc.). There are spots inside of the
Makefiles where they can interfere, but I don't see how this can take
effects, here.
</wild guesses>

Ralf